On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 8:44 PM Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:

> I am worried about the web compat impact. David, will you also have a
> finch kill-switch so that we can flip the default quickly if needed (eg.
> during stable roll out)?

Yup, this will be revertable via Finch.

 Worst case could we split out the new API from the default so that sites
> could explicitly opt-into the new behavior prior to the default changing?

 We did discuss this as a possibility and this is the fallback plan if we
do find too much compat impact. I think the concern with it was that the
kind of sites we're worried about are the ones that just won't get updated
at all (i.e. it's very low effort to add the opt-out meta and get back to
the old behavior), but this could be a useful way to give authors time.

I'll split the flag into two, one for the API and one for the default
behavior so we have that control prior to shipping.