On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 1:55 PM Mike Taylor <miketa...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi Khushal,
>
> On 1/19/23 3:12 PM, Khushal Sagar wrote:
>
> Contact emails
> bo...@chromium.org, hvanops...@chromium.org,  jakearchib...@chromium.org,
> khushalsa...@chromium.org, vmp...@chromium.org
>
> Explainer
>
> https://github.com/WICG/view-transitions/blob/main/explainer.md
> <https://github.com/WICG/shared-element-transitions/blob/main/explainer.md>
>
> Specification
>
> https://www.w3.org/TR/css-view-transitions-1
>
> Summary
>
> View Transitions
> <https://developer.chrome.com/docs/web-platform/view-transitions/> is an
> API that enables the creation of polished transitions. Web developers only
> need minimal effort to make transitions look nice. They can choose to use
> some default animation properties, or they can customize their own
> transition effects to achieve a desired transition experience.
>
> This is accomplished by leveraging user-agents’ ability to persist visual
> representations of rendered output (i.e. snapshots) and blend them with the
> live DOM state’s rendered output. The API also allows these animations to
> be customized via standard CSS animation properties.
>
> Note that while this intent is limited to shipping an API for
> same-document transitions (i.e. by using document.startViewTransition, as
> outlined in the spec), there is ongoing work to provide this feature for
> same-origin, cross-document navigations (MPA). MPA support will be added as
> a follow up via a separate intent to ship.
>
> Blink component
>
> Blink>ViewTransitions
> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component%3ABlink%3EViewTransitions&can=2>
>
> TAG review
>
> https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/748
>
> Can you confirm that all the follow-up issues
> <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/748#issuecomment-1379517669>
> filed in response to feedback in this review are backwards-compatible with
> what you propose to ship now?

Yes, most follow-up issues filed based on TAG feedback are about
transitions initiated from navigations. This is part of the MPA work which
we plan to ship as a follow up and it can be shipped independently of the
same-document transitions covered by this intent.

The only issue on that review which concerns same-document transitions is
#8319 <https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/8319>, a syntax which
would allow selecting a subset of generated pseudo-elements. This syntax
addition can be made in a backwards-compatible way.