On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 3:00 PM Jun Kokatsu <jkoka...@google.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to provide some updates on outreach I've done last week.
>
> I manually went through a list of sample sites in the use counter
> <https://chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/4356>, and
> contacted ~10 sites which will be impacted. Among those sites, 3 sites
> responded so far.
>
>    1. onsetapp.com has successfully migrated away from data: URLs in
>    SVGUseElement.
>       - Reason for the usage:
>

> *"We used them to import elements from SVG sprites, basically an SVG file
>       containing every icons loaded once at page load as an attempt to improve
>       performance of the app."*
>    2. jobs.nzz.ch are testing the fix in the development pipeline, and
>    hope to migrate away from data: URLs in SVGUseElement soon.
>    - Reason for the usage is unsure as it was done a long time ago.
>    3. We've reached out to Salesforce contact (thanks Rick!) for
>    appexchange.salesforce.com. They are trying to find a responsible team
>    for that subdomain to understand why it was used, and if it can be migrated
>    away.
>
> Thanks Jun, that's some good anecdotal evidence that adapting to this
breaking change likely isn't too hard for most folks. Despite it being only
a couple anecdotes, this increases my confidence.

> I've also identified faucet.okp4.network as a false positive, because
> they use svgxuse <https://github.com/Keyamoon/svgxuse> as a fallback
> mechanism <https://github.com/okp4/ui/pull/433>.

Fascinating.

I will wait for sometime so that UKM will reach Beta or Stable, to further
> identify impacted origins with high volume of access.

Yeah I think this is the most important next step. With luck we'll find
that there's not too much of a long tail and we can succeed in getting a
significant drop in usage through outreach.

BTW, thank you Daniel for creating a page
> <https://dbratell.github.io/svg-use-icons/> with easy to read
> alternatives! This was very helpful in the outreach process!

Thanks Daniel! If we proceed with deprecation then perhaps this page should
form the basis of a chromium.org blog post on the topic that we can link to
from the chromestatus entry that will be referenced in the deprecation
warning message.

> Thanks,
>
> Jun
>

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 3:23 PM Jun Kokatsu <jkoka...@google.com> wrote:

>>> So if we find it's too breaking to disallow this pattern completely,
>>> could we instead just disable script execution from within the context of
>>> documents resulting from data: URLs in SVGUseAttributes?
>>>

>> Is that solution for Trusted Types or XSS through SVGUseElement in
>> general?

I was thinking for SVGUseElement in general.

> If it is for Trusted Types, it does solve the issue in Chromium for short
>> term, but we want other rendering engines to implement Trusted Types as
>> well. Does that mean we spec this in Trusted Types that inline event
>> handlers from SVGUseElement will be disallowed when enforcing Trusted
>> Types?
>> One thing I'm not sure about this approach is that each rendering engine
>> has differences in supported features inside SVGUseElement.

Oh yeah I certainly wouldn't suggest we do anything chromium-specific here.
Just that if we decide the web compat challenge of deprecating all data
urls is too high, then we could probably get other vendors on board with
something more modest and get that fully spec'd and tested.

For example, if the <foreignObject>
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Element/foreignObject>
>> is supported, then iframes inside foreignObject can have srcdoc, and it can
>> contain script tags which are considered "stored" XSS (because the payload
>> never goes through DOM APIs), and therefore Trusted Types could be bypassed
>> (i.e. script tags are not inline event handlers). But maybe the current
>> script element restriction
>> <https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2/struct.html#UseShadowTree:~:text=Within%20a%20use%2Delement%20shadow%20tree%2C%20%E2%80%98script%E2%80%99%20elements%20are%20inert%20(do%20not%20execute)%3B>
>> on the use element is enough to apply in child frames too?
>>
>> If it is for XSS, then as I mentioned, SVG link
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Element/a> with
>> Javascript: URL can still trigger XSS (because the script execution is a
>> result of navigation, which can happen in the top frame or iframes by
>> target attribute).
>>
>> Long story short, we did consider disabling scripts, but people's
>> consensus (1 <https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/718>
>> , 2 <https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/108>, 3
>> <https://github.com/w3c/trusted-types/issues/357#issuecomment-1049761361>
>> , 4 <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1300195#c10>,
>> 5 <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1300195#c11>)
>> has been that it's just better to deprecate data: URLs in SVGUseElement.

Thanks for those links, I hadn't appreciated how much discussion had gone
into the tradeoffs already. I agree that if we can convince ourselves it's
not too breaking that this is the best solution. But I see from the
discussion that the consensus was based on the assumption that we had
already decided the web compat risk was sufficiently low. I'd certainly
prefer not to re-open the standards discussion as this solution seems the
safest, simplest and most coherent for the platform, but it's good to know
what our fallback options are so that we can keep the cost/benefit
tradeoffs in mind as we learn more.