On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 8:41 AM Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:

>> *Gecko*: Positive (
>> https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/5465#pullrequestreview-1132523065)
>>

> Per our process, Mozilla has asked that we only consider positive signals
> from their standards-position repo. I see they currently have
> <https://mozilla.github.io/standards-positions/#declarative-shadow-dom> a
> 'neutral' for declarative shadow DOM with concerns about the cost/benefit
> tradeoff of the feature.
>
> Also this is a link to a comment by a (now) Apple employee. Did you have a
> different link in mind perhaps?

Good catch - that was a link copy/paste mistake on my part. I've updated
Chromestatus, but the link I was intending to use was this one for Mozilla
<https://github.com/whatwg/dom/issues/831#issuecomment-1269026678>. Having
said that, it isn't obviously supportive, so I've also asked to have the
position issue re-opened and hopefully updated
<https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/335#issuecomment-1402437234>
.

> *WebKit*: Positive (
>> https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/5465#pullrequestreview-1132523065)
>>

> Based on your link
> <https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/commit/e7d5dde467956b24438d23f458d4d527f7fd108d>
> above we can now call this "shipping", right? That's a very strong signal
> IMHO.

Thanks - also updated. It is indeed shipping, and WebKit's official
position is now also "support"
<https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/12>.

> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
>> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
>> ?Yes
>>

> I see the test link
> <https://wpt.fyi/results/shadow-dom/declarative?label=master&label=experimental&aligned&view=subtest>,
> but are tests written somewhere for this change in particular? In
> particular do latest WebKit and chromium with this flag enabled pass the
> exact same set of tests for declarative shadow DOM or are there still
> notable behavior differences?

So I've already updated the tests on WPT to use the new `shadowrootmode`
attribute, and they also now check for streaming behavior. (For Chromium, I
have a virtual suite
<https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:third_party/blink/web_tests/VirtualTestSuites;l=927;drc=fba07e03f2517fdaf9cb8c45fa8f8db5073219e2>
that also tests the old behavior, which I'll keep running until I'm able to
deprecate and remove it.)

WebKit (reportedly
<https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/5465#issuecomment-1377992970>) passes
all of those tests except the ones related to the serialization behavior
which was pulled out
<https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/5465#issuecomment-1266085972> of the
current PR. There is still ongoing discussion around enabling imperative
parsing (via DOMParser <https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/8759>) of DSD
content, and if they end up removing that functionality, they'll fail more
tests.

Thanks,
Mason