Hi Ari,
The documented process
<https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features/#new-feature-prepare-to-ship>
is
to land features and specs before requesting approval to ship, as that
gives the best possible chance for wide review and eventual interop. But we
unfortunately often find ourselves in the position that this is impractical
- eg. spec work blocked from landing due to lack of interest from a 2nd
implementor (WHATWG venue) or just very slow reviews. So, if necessary, we
are willing to approve based on a PR only but it's usually considered an
exceptional situation. None of those seem to be the case here, it's just
blocked on some impl and spec work right? In particular, we definitely want
to see WPTs landed prior to shipping, so we're aligned with Noam on that
request. chrishtr, foolip, yoav and I just discussed this now in the API
owners meeting and are aligned on this being standard practice (though
wouldn't be surprised if we've slipped up occasionally).

Thanks,
   Rick