Contact emailsnbur...@chromium.org, smcgr...@chromium.org, i...@chromium.org

Specificationhttps://github.com/w3c/payment-request/pull/1009

Design docs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16DHqqPWe5oM6Rucnn6Y1llhJ-DoEeLtTWFldJFg4iqA/edit#heading=h.w5782xqp7ab4

Summary

To help developers reduce friction in Payment Request flows, we are
removing the user activation requirement for PaymentRequest.show(). Spam
and clickjacking mitigations are put in place to mitigate security and
privacy risks with this change (see design doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/16DHqqPWe5oM6Rucnn6Y1llhJ-DoEeLtTWFldJFg4iqA/edit#heading=h.9tic5lqm5god>
).

Blink componentBlink>Payments
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EPayments>

TAG reviewNone

TAG review statusNot applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility*Gecko*: No signal

*WebKit*: No signal

*Web developers*: We've received direct feedback from web developers that
they would be able to reduce friction in their redirect-based payment flows
if PaymentRequest.show() could be initiated without a user activation.

*Other signals*:

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that
it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?

None

Debuggability

Existing debuggability for PaymentRequest; e.g. a specific SecurityError is
thrown when an activationless show() call is not allowed.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?Yes

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?Yes

Flag name--enable-blink-features=PaymentRequestActivationlessShow

Tracking bughttps://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1454204

Estimated milestones
DevTrial on desktop 117
DevTrial on Android 117

Anticipated spec changes
https://github.com/w3c/payment-request/pull/1009

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
<https://chromestatus.com/>.