On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 10:00 PM Mike Taylor <miketa...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Thanks, LGTM1 pending the PRs landing.
> On 9/12/23 12:29 AM, Caleb Raitto wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Pull request 695 <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/695> is the
> change to update the explainer to describe the new header-based
> directFromSellerSignals, whereas 771
> <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/771> and 774
> <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/774> are for the spec changes.
>
> The explainer change describes usage of the new API and provides context
> for the differences between header-based and the prior bundles based
> versions of directFromSellerSignals, whereas the spec change describes how
> to implement the header-based version.
>
> We intend to land all 3 pull requests.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Caleb
> On Monday, September 11, 2023 at 11:18:26 AM UTC-4 Mike Taylor wrote:
>

>> On 9/11/23 12:55 PM, Mike Taylor wrote:
>>
>> On 9/7/23 6:00 PM, Caleb Raitto wrote:
>>
>> Hi Yoav, some responses inline:
>>
>> On Wednesday, September 6, 2023 at 12:15:45 PM UTC-4 Yoav Weiss wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 9:55 PM Paul Jensen <pauljen...@chromium.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Contact emails
>>

>> * pauljen...@chromium.org <pauljen...@chromium.org> *Explainer
>>
>> * https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/69
>> <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/695>5 *
>>

>> Can you clarify what this does, as the explainer is not very explain-y?
>>
>> IIUC, the current flow to get directFromSellerSignals is to download a
>> response A which contains a link to a WBN, then download the WBN and that
>> contains the signal info.
>> Your proposal is to change that so that the directFromSellerSignals
>> information would be embedded in a response header on response A?
>>

>> The original directFromSellerSignals worked by downloading a response A,
>> from the seller’s origin, that is a WBN containing several subresources
>> that represent signals from the seller to various auction participants --
>> no linking was involved.

Can you outline that flow more explicitly? Apologies, but I'd like to
better understand its performance characteristics.
IIUC, in both cases we have an initial page that triggers a request, where
in one that request is to a WBN (using a <link> ?) and the other it's to a
random resource using fetch({adAuctionHeaders: true}) ?

I guess it's unclear to me why the former would be slower than the latter,
especially given the large payloads and the fact that headers can't really
be compressed.

>> You’re correct about this header-based version of directFromSellerSignals
>> -- when Chrome downloads a response, from the seller’s origin, with
>> fetch(...,
>> {adAuctionHeaders: true}), the Ad-Auction-Signals header gets parsed as
>> JSON to provide the signals.
>>

>> If so, any more details on that header? What would be the header name?
>> What payload sizes should we expect for the header's value? In what
>> conditions will it actually be processed?
>>

>> The name of the header is Ad-Auction-Signals, as mentioned here in the
>> explainer: [0]. Currently, the payload size is limited to 1kb [1], but
>> we’re considering increasing that to 10kb based on feedback. When Chrome
>> conducts a Protected Audience auction, it processes any received
>> Ad-Auction-Signals headers whose adSlot matches that of the auction.  The
>> header contains JSON that dictates which signals are sent to which auction
>> participants.

1K header is a lot. 10KB header is... really a lot.
Have you tested that with a variety of CDNs and other intermediaries? I
wouldn't be surprised if those values would break some assumptions in
existing HTTP proxying software.

Also, the JSON y'all are sending doesn't seem extremely nested. Have you
considered structured fields <https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8941.html>?