Hi All,

Despite the fact that the given thread is from 2016 I think there's still a
scenario which can be resolved only using deprecated properties (
KeyboardEvent.keyCode or UIEvent.which).
Consider the following scenario:
- there is a given shortcut in a web app mapped for Control+Alt+Z
(alternatively Command+Option+Z for MacOs)
- let's also assume the user is having a qwertz
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTZ> keyboard layout set
- on Mac, once Command+Option+Z is pressed, one can detect the right
combination only by using keyCode, since:
-- event.keyCode will be 90 (ASCII for "Z")
-- event.code takes "KeyY" (physical key)
-- event.key will be "Ź" (ASCII: 377); on default ABC layout is "Ω", so
that wouldn't work, either

Best,
- Lorand.

On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 2:09:35 AM UTC+3 Gary Kačmarčík (Кошмарчик)
wrote:

We haven't heard anything from Apple regarding updating WebKit to use
|code| and |key|, so they don't have a non-deprecated alternative.

We'll hopefully learn more about their plans during TPAC (later this
month), but for now Safari users need to fall back to the (also deprecated)
|keyCode| and |charCode| attributes. But as mentioned earlier, this
attribute was never widely implemented and was only included in the
standard for a very short period of time.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:19 PM, 'Joe Medley' via blink-dev <
blin...@chromium.org> wrote:

I'm writing a notice about this for this page
<https://developers.google.com/web/updates/tags/deprecations>. Does anyone
know what the alternative is for Safari?

Joe

Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com |
816-678-7195
*If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.*

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Dave Tapuska <dtap...@chromium.org> wrote:

Primary eng (and PM) emails

dtap...@chromium.org

Summary

Mark the field keyIdentifier on KeyboardEvent.idl as deprecated.

Motivation

There is a standardized KeyboardEvent.key which other vendors implement.
Deprecating the feature is desired to drive adoption of the newly available
key field.

Compatibility Risk

Edge, and FireFox do not implement this field so web developers have had to
work around the issue for some time.

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers

Use KeyboardEvent.key

Usage information from UseCounter
<https://code.google.com/p/chromium/codesearch#chromium/src/third_party/WebKit/Source/core/page/UseCounter.h&sq=package:chromium&type=cs&q=file:UseCounter.h%20Feature&l=39>

The use counter is relatively high with 0.2155%. But I do believe this
usage value is inflated due to cloning of all fields in Events by
delegation frameworks.

https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/popularity#V8KeyboardEvent_KeyIdentifier_AttributeGetter

OWP launch tracking bug

crbug.com/607349

Entry on the feature dashboard <https://www.chromestatus.com/>

https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5316065118650368

Requesting approval to remove too?

No. Ideally since this has been around for a while; I'd like to give
probably 4 releases to fully deprecate it. So probably M56. But ideally the
motivation of doing this is to call out the usage of KeyboardEvent.key
instead.