Contact emails

elada...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/screen-share/element-capture/blob/main/README.md

Specification

https://screen-share.github.io/element-capture

Summary

API for capturing a subtree of the DOM.

Given a video MediaStreamTrack obtained through pre-existing means to
initiate tab-capture, Element Capture allows mutating the track to only
capture a subtree of the DOM starting at a given Element.

The API bears some resemblance to the Region Capture API, but affords
greater flexibility for applications, because occluding and occluded
content are both excluded from the capture.

Blink component

Blink>GetDisplayMedia
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EGetDisplayMedia>

TAG review

We are holding off on the request for a TAG review until we get some more
developer feedback about the API shape.

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Under consideration (
https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/857)

WebKit: No signal (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/280)

Web developers:

Positive See upvotes and comments on the following:

   - https://github.com/WICG/proposals/issues/73
   - https://twitter.com/quicksave2k/status/1583388663597015042

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that
it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?

Goals for experimentation

* Solicit more informed Web developer feedback to validate the API shape.

* Ensure that the feature works correctly in conjunction with adjacent
features.

Debuggability

No changes to DevTools are intended.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

No

This API is supported on all desktop platforms. Mobile platforms are
unsupported because screen-capture itself is unsupported on those platforms.

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?

Not yet (but we’re working on extending coverage)

Flag name on chrome://flags

element-capture

Finch feature name

ElementCapture

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1418194

Launch bug

https://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4240472

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop

121

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAMO6jDO6y5b6y3q9QEd2scsYPWuWLJBnPLgwm%2BaHpKx36CYMwA%40mail.gmail.com

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
<https://chromestatus.com/>.