Removal being guaranteed to be backwards compatible depends, at a minimum,
on nullability. As this API would, instead, be globally exposed (but would
not "work" when 3p cookie ineligible), addition and removal present the
usual crop of addition and deprecation issues.

3p cookie turndown is now into it's second or third year of delay, so
optimism about the window for growth of use feels hard to justify.

Why shouldn't this be an OT?

Best,

Alex