Hello - would you mind filing an issue at https://github.com/miketaylr/partitioned-storage-deprecation-trial-feedback for discussion?

On 5/9/24 3:28 AM, Accedeme wrote:

Hi there,

Find attached an explanation on what is not working for us.

Kind regards,

El lunes, 9 de enero de 2023 a las 21:46:30 UTC+1, Mike Taylor escribió:

    **

            *Contact emails*

    *

    wande...@chromium.org, m...@chromium.org, mike...@chromium.org

            Explainer

https://github.com/wanderview/quota-storage-partitioning/blob/main/explainer.md

<https://github.com/wanderview/quota-storage-partitioning/blob/main/explainer.md>

            Specification

    We’re actively working on adding the relevant spec concepts with
    the following WIP PRs (there has been some extensive refactoring
    requested, so it’s taken longer than anticipated):

    https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/8447
    <https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/8447>

    https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/8036
    <https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/8036>

    https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/8027
    <https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/8027>

    https://github.com/whatwg/storage/pull/144
    <https://github.com/whatwg/storage/pull/144>

            Summary

    We intend to partition a number of APIs in third-party contexts.
    This effort is focused on partitioning APIs above the network
    stack.  This includes quota-managed storage, service workers, and
    communication APIs (such as BroadcastChannel).  See the explainer
    for more details:

https://github.com/wanderview/quota-storage-partitioning/blob/main/explainer.md

<https://github.com/wanderview/quota-storage-partitioning/blob/main/explainer.md>

            Blink component

    Blink>Storage

<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EStorage>

            TAG review

    Early Design Review
    <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/629>

            TAG review status

    Closed as “Satisfied”

            Risks

            Interoperability and Compatibility

    Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

    WebKit: Shipped/Shipping

    Web developers: Mixed signals

    Other signals:

            WebView application risks

    Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs,
    such that it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based
    applications?

    We’re still investigating the risk for WebView, and if we should
    ship in that context at a later date.

            Goals for Deprecation Trial

    We propose to ship two separate deprecation trials, each for
    approximately one year (to give sites plenty of time to test and
    update, if  needed). Aspirationally, we would like to ship
    partitioned storage in M112, and our goal is to have a deprecation
    trial available from M111 to M123.

    The first
    <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1404959>is
    a general-purpose deprecation trial that will allow a top-level
    site to opt into unpartitioned storage, service workers, and
    communication APIs for third-party contexts embedded in its site.
    This will give sites more time for testing and migrating to
    solutions that don’t require partitioned storage.

    The second
    <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1399319>is
    tailored to a behavior we discovered during the dev-trial that is
    known to be used by the Firebase Auth library. This deprecation
    trial only allows for unpartitioned `sessionStorage` across a
    navigation (which is how the `signInWithRedirect()` method relies
    on storing and postMessage’ing authentication tokens). The
    Firebase team is aware of the issue (as it also affects Safari
    users; Firefox has worked around the breakage by granting
    unpartitioned storage via a shim

<https://github.com/mozilla-extensions/webcompat-addon/blob/f58cf9e13b088fde01a0551069d23862e71e6711/src/data/shims.js#L791-L801>),
    and is working to migrate their users
    <https://firebase.google.com/docs/auth/web/redirect-best-practices>to
    cross-browser solutions that are compatible with partitioned
    storage. Given the different nature of the Firebase issue, we
    think it makes sense to ship a different deprecation trial entirely.

            Debuggability

    DevTools has support
    <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1296581>for
    partitioned storage.

            Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms
            (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android
            WebView)?

    Yes for all others; TBD for WebView.

            Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

    Yes

            DevTrial instructions

    https://developer.chrome.com/en/blog/storage-partitioning-dev-trial
    <https://developer.chrome.com/en/blog/storage-partitioning-dev-trial>

            Flag name

    ThirdPartyStoragePartitioning

    DisableThirdPartySessionStoragePartitioningAfterGeneralPartitioning

            Requires code in //chrome?

    False

            Tracking bug

    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1191114