This is an odd one, but I agree that it's a web exposed feature and hence
should go through the blink process. Thanks for sending this!

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 11:15 PM Anton Maliev <amal...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Contact emails
>
> amal...@chromium.org
>
> njeu...@chromium.org
>
> wanderv...@chromium.org
>
> Explainer
>
> https://github.com/explainers-by-googlers/3pcd-grace-period-opt-out
>
> Specification
>
> Well-known resource specification:
> https://github.com/explainers-by-googlers/3pcd-grace-period-opt-out/blob/main/well-known-specification.md
>
> Summary
>
> This proposal details a new mechanism for site developers to conduct a
> self-service staged opt-out of their third-party cookie phaseout grace
> period. This is intended primarily for Chrome’s active trials for
> third-party cookie deprecation - one for top-level sites
> <https://developers.google.com/privacy-sandbox/3pcd/temporary-exceptions/first-party-deprecation-trial>
> and one for embedded sites
> <https://developers.google.com/privacy-sandbox/3pcd/temporary-exceptions/third-party-deprecation-trial>.
> When a site is approved for one of these trials, they are added to a
> short-term grace period which mitigates breakage until the token is
> launched.  Sites may also use this opt-out to test long term solutions.
>
> Each site on the trial will specify their desired opt-out percentage in a
> new resource in their .well-known directory
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8615>, specified here
> <https://github.com/explainers-by-googlers/3pcd-deprecation-trial-staged-rollout/blob/main/well-known-specification.md>.
> Google will implement server infrastructure to fetch and update these
> values on a schedule, and assign clients randomly to cohorts matching this
> percentage. These cohorts persist for a client up until clearing site
> storage or reinstalling the browser.

Will developers have a way of knowing if the current site (where they may
see breakage metrics) is opted-out of the grace period?

> Blink component
>
> Privacy <https://b.corp.google.com/components/1457231>
>
> TAG review
>
> N/A
>
> TAG review status
>
> N/A
>
> Risks
>
> There aren’t inherent security implications for fetching external
> resources using server-side infrastructure, but there is a risk of fetching
> bad data, which our implementation addresses.
>
> There are also privacy implications for randomly assigning clients to
> cohorts, which we mitigate by clearing cohorts on site data deletion. There
> is also a risk that the fetching system fails or that a site loses access
> to its .well-known resource, both cases which we have planned mitigations
> for.
>
> Interoperability and Compatibility
>
> The third-party cookie deprecation trials are a Chrome feature, so these
> new well-known resources will only be fetched by the Chrome browser. The
> new resource will be distinct and will not interfere with any existing
> resources used by other browsers or features.

Beyond that, I think that the fact that this is a short-lived capability
also significantly reduces risk.
Do you have a rough estimate on the length of the grace period? (I'm
guessing this will not be relevant after it)