On 5/22/24 8:11 AM, Yoav Weiss (@Shopify) wrote:

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 8:55 PM Mike Taylor <miketa...@chromium.org> wrote:

    **

            *Contact emails*

    *

    miketa...@chromium.org

            Explainer

https://github.com/wanderview/quota-storage-partitioning/blob/main/explainer.md

<https://github.com/wanderview/quota-storage-partitioning/blob/main/explainer.md>

            Specification

    None

            Summary

    We shipped “storage partitioning” in Chrome 115, and a Deprecation
    Trail

<https://developer.chrome.com/origintrials/#/view_trial/-8517432795264450559>(DT)
    beginning in M113 that is set to expire in M126. There are also
    enterprise policies available:

https://chromeenterprise.google/policies/#DefaultThirdPartyStoragePartitioningSetting

<https://chromeenterprise.google/policies/#DefaultThirdPartyStoragePartitioningSetting>

https://chromeenterprise.google/policies/#ThirdPartyStoragePartitioningBlockedForOrigins

<https://chromeenterprise.google/policies/#ThirdPartyStoragePartitioningBlockedForOrigins>

    We are requesting a renewal for 6 milestones (M127 - M132
    inclusive) for the DisableThirdPartyStoragePartitioning

<https://developer.chrome.com/origintrials/#/view_trial/-8517432795264450559>DT
    (but notthe
    DisableThirdPartySessionStoragePartitioningAfterGeneralPartitioning

<https://developer.chrome.com/origintrials/#/view_trial/3444127815031586817>DT).

    Since we shipped the first Deprecation Trial, we have also shipped
    the non-cookie storage extension to SAA

<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/F5EV8I-j7Eg/m/OAi7lcykAAAJ>(M125+)
    to address sites impacted by storage partitioning. We are
    confident this API extension will address the majority of
    “unpartitioned” storage use cases, however, we are aware of a few
    partners with slightly different use cases that we are currently
    exploring API solutions for.

    Our near-term goal is to have this Deprecation Trial expire and
    migrate the platform to partitioned-by-default 3rd party storage,
    communications APIs, and service workers, especially ahead of 3rd
    party cookie deprecation. Given that, we propose to only allow an
    extension for sites that have already enrolled in the current
    non-expired Deprecation Trial, taking advantage of the new OT
    registration approval workflow.

    *

That's exciting! Are there numbers you can share regarding the current participants? Is it realistic to expect the 6 milestone renewal to be the last one?

Sure thing - we have on the order of 600 registrants, but if you de-dupe the list that takes you down to about 400. Further removing localhost, or staging or obvious test domains (stuff like "https://testing-this-ot.vercel.app";, we're down to ~300. My hand-wavey guess is the majority of these will be served by the non-cookie SAA stuff we shipped, or have already resolved their need to use the OT.

Will this be the last renewal? Hard to predict the future, but if we do find ourselves in that bucket I would like to craft it in such a way to continue to narrow the funnel further than we are right now, especially to avoid timeline contention and side-channels with 3PCD.

    *

    We will respond to this intent with a link to a blog post once the
    renewal process is in place.

            Blink component

    Blink>Storage

<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EStorage>

            TAG review

    Early Design Review
    <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/629>

            TAG review status

    Resolution Satisfied

            Chromium Trial Name

    DisableThirdPartyStoragePartitioning

            Origin Trial documentation link

    https://developer.chrome.com/blog/storage-partitioning-deprecation-trial/
    <https://developer.chrome.com/blog/storage-partitioning-deprecation-trial/>

            Risks

            Interoperability and Compatibility

    Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

    WebKit: Shipped/Shipping

    Web developers: Mixed signals (some supportive, some concerns
    around compatibility)

            WebView application risks

    Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs,
    such that it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based
    applications?

    Not enabled on WebView for now.

            Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms
            (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

    No, all but WebView.

            Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

    We have basic WPT coverage.

            DevTrial instructions

    https://developer.chrome.com/en/blog/storage-partitioning-dev-trial
    <https://developer.chrome.com/en/blog/storage-partitioning-dev-trial>

            Finch feature name

    DisableThirdPartyStoragePartitioning

            Non-finch justification

    N/A

            Requires code in //chrome?

    False

            Tracking bug

    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1191114
    <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1191114>

            Launch bug

    https://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4214498
    <https://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4214498>

            Estimated milestones

    Shipping on desktop

    115

    Origin trial desktop first

    113

    Origin trial desktop last

    132

    DevTrial on desktop

    105

    Shipping on Android

    115

    DevTrial on Android

    105

    https://chromestatus.com/feature/5723617717387264?gate=5117857892663296
    <https://chromestatus.com/feature/5723617717387264?gate=5117857892663296>

            Links to previous Intent discussions

    Intent to Experiment:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/d395956d-3a59-1ba9-1b5c-33505e1518d3%40chromium.org

<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/d395956d-3a59-1ba9-1b5c-33505e1518d3%40chromium.org>

    This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
    <https://chromestatus.com/>.

    *
    Groups "blink-dev" group.
    send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org.