To be particular about the usage number, it's about a magnitude more than our informal limit. That doesn't mean it can't be shipped, but it means that we want to be fairly certain that >90% of the users are unaffected by the change.

How should I interpret the results from your investigation? That none of the 8 investigated sites would be negatively affected?

/Daniel

On 2024-05-22 18:03, Vladimir Levin wrote:

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 2:20 PM Joey Arhar <jar...@chromium.org> wrote:

    > Do you know what the breakage looks like

    I pushed to make sure that using the old syntax with
    CustomStateSet.add() wouldn't throw exceptions when in the new
    mode in order to reduce breakage. When websites use the old syntax
    after it's removed, they will just have styling differences
    because their selectors won't parse anymore.

    > or whether this usage is limited to a library/a small set of
    large websites or something else?

    Based on the analysis that I linked in the previous thread

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BHoO12ts0E-NQQH9AMwR2sKAIV0OPB-FA_8QXMpolz0/edit>,
    there are some websites which all look very similar which use it,
    but they are all hidden behind display:none elements that I had to
    manually reveal. There was only one website I found which was
    actually using it which has a carousel which has buttons that
    didn't work in safari and firefox because CustomStateSet didn't
    exist yet.

    I don't think there is a popular library which is using the
    deprecated syntax.

    > Ideally, this is feature detected with some fallback syntax

    Websites just have to replace ":--foo" with ":state(foo)", I don't
    think any feature detection is necessary. If they are interested
    in supporting older browsers, then I don't see why they would have
    any interest in looking at whether the deprecated syntax works or
    not because the other browsers didn't have it before and neither
    did we until a couple years ago.

I meant I hope that existing use is either feature-detected or it's using both properties. In either case, it's very easy to fix if problems arise since alternate syntax is shipped already in multiple browsers.

LGTM1

    On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 11:09 AM Vladimir Levin