On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 12:16 PM Philip Jägenstedt <foo...@chromium.org>
wrote:

> Developer excitement about this is evident in
> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/156. It was filed by a web
> developer and the 100 thumbs up are probably mostly from other web
> developers.
>
> These events seem like obvious missing functionality similar to the
> scrollend events, without the events you need to listed to scroll events
> and guess when it has come to a stop.
>
> That being said, examples of what can be built with these events would be
> very nice. For the scrollsnapchange event it's easy to imagine updating
> some state below a carousel to match the snapped element, such as item
> description or store inventory. For scrollsnapchanging I don't dare hazard
> a guess, can someone say what the canonical use case for this is?

IMO scrollsnapchanging is the more useful event. It has a similar purpose
to what the input event is prior to the change event fired on form controls
or the scroll event is to scrollend, being an earlier signal of the
eventual final result which can be useful for immediate feedback.
scrollsnapchanged could be inferred by the combination of the latest
scrollsnapchanging before the scrollend event.

For carousels, it can be extremely useful for immediate feedback when the
carousel is scrolling to a particular item to highlight the destination
right away. E.g. right now the carousels on
https://gui-challenges.web.app/carousel/dist/ only update on scrollend but
in many native carousels (e.g. https://www.airbnb.ca/) the active item is
updated throughout the scroll before it settles.

Looping in @Adam Argyle <arg...@google.com>