On 6/4/24 1:53 PM, Caleb Raitto wrote:

Response inline

On Monday, June 3, 2024 at 10:16:06 PM UTC-4 Mike Taylor wrote:

    On 5/31/24 11:40 PM, Paul Jensen wrote:

    Contact emails

    pauljen...@chromium.org

    Explainer

    https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1095
    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1095>

    Specification

    https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1124
    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1124>

    Summary

    The Protected Audience API allows bidders to store information,
    called an interest group, from a single site in the browser that
    can only be read later in the context of an auction.  Today,
    interest groups can be updated by fetching new values from a
    server.  For all interest groups, the frequency of these updates
    is rate limited to at most once a day to conserve network traffic
    and avoid overwhelming servers.  However, we've heard from
    developers that certain ad campaigns need much more timely
    updates.  During Protected Audience auctions, the browser fetches
    real-time signals from bidders' key-value servers.  This proposal
    allows the response to these fetches to indicate a subset of
    interest groups they’d like updated more frequently than once a day.

    Blink component

    Blink>InterestGroups

<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EInterestGroups>

    TAG review

    For Protected Audience:
    <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/723>

    TAG review status

    Completed for Protected Audience, resolved unsatisfied.

    Risks Interoperability and Compatibility

    Feature represents optional new behavior that shouldn’t break
    existing usage.

    Gecko & WebKit: No signal on parent proposal, Protected Audience.
    Asked in the Mozilla forumhere
    <https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/770>, and
    in the Webkit forum here
    <https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/158>.

    Edge: Edge has announced plans to support the Ad Selection API
    <https://github.com/WICG/privacy-preserving-ads/blob/main/README.md>which
    shares much of its API surface with Protected Audience.

    Web developers:

    Feature requested by Microsoft in GitHub issue
    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/issues/729>.

    I don't see any feedback from Microsoft on this design in the
    issue (just from Criteo, which seems inconclusive). Have they
    given feedback elsewhere?

The response from Microsoft (ads) is here: https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/issues/729#issuecomment-1822190741 -- it's the opening paragraph that starts with "I do think having a 'please refresh when this auction is over' lever is a clear improvement over the current situation from a functionality perspective".

OK - thanks. I was hoping they might have responded elsewhere to your request for feedback from April <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/issues/729#issuecomment-2077517709> or May, but I don't see a reason to block on that.

LGTM1

    Debuggability

    Protected Audience trusted bidding signals show up in the
    DevTools Network pane. Updates show up in the Application ->
    Storage -> Interest Groups DevTools pane.

    Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms
    (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

    It will be supported on all platforms that support Protected
    Audience, so all but WebView.

    Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

    Yes

<https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/blob/f118165cd650448765d2e0efd3d7ee71f1e15e4f/fledge/tentative/trusted-bidding-signals.https.window.js#L973>.

    Flag name on chrome://flags

    None

    Finch feature name

    InterestGroupUpdateIfOlderThan

    Requires code in //chrome?

    False

    Estimated milestones

    Shipping on desktop and Android in M125.

    Anticipated spec changes

    None

    <https://chromestatus.com/feature/5162656775536640>

    This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
    <https://chromestatus.com/>.

    Google Groups "blink-dev" group.
    send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org
    <mailto:blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org>.