On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 9:36 PM Yoav Weiss (@Shopify) <
yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:

> TAG review statusNot applicable
>>

> Can you clarify why that's the case?

This is a tiny change that is already in a WG's editor's draft.

https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/365
https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/1043

> Is it possible to put together a small explainer for this. It's a bit
difficult to understand what this hint would control. Do you have examples?

I'm not sure that this is big enough for a formal explainer, but I can
summarize quickly here:

In the beginning, WebAuthn was a spec purely for security keys and
overwhelmingly for enterprises. Those enterprises were eventually happy
once the spec was fleshed out to cover all their needs.

Then WebAuthn started being useful for non-enterprise cases too, and
browser UI now includes those options. Also, the UI shows non-security-key
options prominently because most users are no longer using security keys.

But that makes the enterprises sad: they issue security keys to their
employees and liked the old UI a lot better.

So this "hints" parameter lets sites express that they want the UI to
default to security keys because they know that it's an internal website
and all the users are required to use their company-issued security keys
with it.

That's 90% of the motivation. There is also some desire in the WG to tweak
the ways that some existing, somewhat similar mechanisms work and so the
start of that also exists as a couple of other hints that can be expressed.
The Chromium implementation does currently also recognise and respect those
values too because it's trivial to include them.

Cheers

AGL