Contact emailsmas...@chromium.org

Specification
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/10209#issuecomment-2221005001

Summary

The CSSWG resolved to rename this property from `inset-area` to
`position-area`. See the CSSWG discussion here:
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/10209#issuecomment-2221005001
Chrome disagrees with this change, but would like to ship an interoperable
implementation. We will ship the new property name, `position-area`, as a
synonym for `inset-area` first. Then after a suitable amount of time, we
will remove `inset-area`. The latter removal will be done under a separate
Intent.

Blink componentBlink>CSS
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3ECSS>

Search tagsanchor positioning
<https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:anchor%20positioning>

TAG reviewNone

TAG review statusNot applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

There is a compat risk with this rename, since the old name of `inset-area`
is in use, with an 0.02% use counter:
https://chromestatus.com/metrics/css/timeline/popularity/781 We will need
to ship the new name, `position-area`, first, and issue deprecation
warnings for the old name, `inset-area`, to give developers time to change.
This intent to ship is about shipping `position-area` as a synonym for
`inset-area`. We'll issue a separate I2D for removing the `inset-area`
property.

*Gecko*: No signal

*WebKit*: No signal

*Web developers*: No signals

*Other signals*:

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that
it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?

None

Debuggability

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?Yes

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?Yes

https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-anchor-position

Flag name on chrome://flagsNone

Finch feature nameNone

Non-finch justificationNone

Requires code in //chrome?False

Tracking bughttps://crbug.com/352333393

Estimated milestones
Shipping on desktop 129
DevTrial on desktop 129
Shipping on Android 129
DevTrial on Android 129
Shipping on WebView 129

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or
interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues
in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may
introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of
the API in a non-backward-compatible way).
None

https://chromestatus.com/feature/6567965055778816?gate=5360672631422976

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
<https://chromestatus.com/>.