LGTM3

/Daniel

On 2024-08-21 17:44, Mike Taylor wrote:

LGTM2 - it would be great to add additional tests as mentioned.

On 8/21/24 5:43 PM, Alex Russell wrote:
LGTM1; thanks for the detailed responses to Domenic.

On Sunday, August 18, 2024 at 10:30:50 PM UTC-7 Traian Captan wrote:

        This relates to the interoperability issues discussed below.
        You say "This change increases interop with Safari and
        Firefox which already provide a reasonable fallback style for
        <meter> elements with `appearance: none`," but don't give
        detail on whether our "reasonable fallback style" is the same
        as or different from theirs.

    We match both their fall back styles. Safari was already matching
    Firefox's fallback style.

        From what I can tell with some brief testing with Firefox
        Linux and Safari Tech Preview MacOS, they both produce a
        80x16 box with 0 margin and padding in this "primitive
        appearance" mode. Firefox's inspector does not show any UA
        styles, but Safari shows UA styles of: { box-sizing:
        border-box; display: inline-block; block-size: 1em;
        inline-size: 5em; vertical-align: -0.2em; }. These actually
        match the spec's expected "native appearance", but I guess
        the "native appearance" has slightly different visuals, e.g.
        rounded corners and a shinier progress color.

        What UA styles will we follow? Is there a chance we could
        agree on the same styles as Safari, and thus update the part
        of the HTML spec I pointed out above?

    Yes. We

<https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:third_party/blink/renderer/core/html/resources/html.css;drc=dc831485ae497e8fd857affbe214cb734662be8a;l=1126>
    match Safari's UA style

<https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/blob/9138960e6c997b65b73ab22dd7151217b04b9345/Source/WebCore/css/html.css#L1232>.

        I don't think we should block this intent on getting this all
        specified perfectly, since the change you're making is
        bringing us closer to interop in a historically
        under-specified area. But I do want to understand to what
        extent we'll match Firefox and Safari, and it would be an
        excellent bonus if we took this opportunity to improve the
        spec for everyone while we were here.

    Agreed. The fallback styles I added match both Firefox and Safari.
    There is also an open css-ui github issue regarding how the fall
    back styles should look like : [css-ui-4] appearance: none on
    <meter> <https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/356#top>

        Those tests are a great start. If we can agree on the UA
        styles per the above, we could expand them using tests
        similar to these

<https://github.com/search?q=repo%3Aweb-platform-tests%2Fwpt%20%22%40namespace%20url(urn%3Anot-html)%22&type=code>.

    Thanks! That sounds good to me.

    Regards,
    Traian

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/e7572a42-b918-4efa-876f-f1165a4b33c4n%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/e7572a42-b918-4efa-876f-f1165a4b33c4n%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.