Contact emailsdome...@chromium.org, fer...@chromium.org,
kenjibah...@chromium.org, h...@chromium.org

Explainer
https://github.com/explainers-by-googlers/writing-assistance-apis/blob/main/README.md

SpecificationNone yet, but looking forward to writing one

Summary

A JavaScript API for transforming and rephrasing input text in the
requested ways, backed by an AI language model.

Blink componentBlink>AI>Rewrite
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EAI%3ERewrite>

Motivation

Browsers and operating systems are increasingly expected to gain access to
a language model. By exposing this built-in model, we avoid every website
needing to download their own multi-gigabyte language model, or send input
text to third-party APIs. The rewriter API in particular exposes a
high-level API for interfacing with a language model in order to transform
inputs for a variety of use cases [1], in a way that does not depend on the
specific language model in question. [1]:
https://github.com/explainers-by-googlers/writing-assistance-apis/blob/main/README.md#rewriter-api

Initial public proposalhttps://github.com/WICG/proposals/issues/163

TAG reviewNone yet; waiting to move to WICG first

TAG review statusPending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

This feature has definite interoperability and compatibility risks, due to
the likelihood that different implementations will use different language
models, prompts, and fine-tunings, and even within a single implementation
such as Chrome, these pieces will likely change over time. Additionally,
not all browsers and operating systems will have a built-in language model
to expose, and not all devices will be able to run one. We are taking a
variety of steps to attempt to mitigate these risks. For example, the
specification is designed to allow the API to be backed by a cloud-based
language model, which could help extend it to more users. And the
high-level nature of the API, which hides the details of the specific
language model, prompts, etc., makes it harder for developers to depend on
specific outputs: they are just getting a rewrite, and not e.g. structured
data. Finally, the API surface is designed with many clear points of
failure, that encourage the developer to probe for capabilities ahead of
time and fall back to other techniques if a capability is not available.
Nevertheless, interoperability and compatibility risk remains high for
these sorts of APIs, and we'll be closely monitoring it during the
prototyping period.

*Gecko*: No signal; waiting to move to WICG before asking

*WebKit*: No signal; waiting to move to WICG before asking

*Web developers*: No signals/weak mixed signals. We have many private
expressions of interest in the use case, but initial public reaction to the
specific API in https://github.com/WICG/proposals/issues/163 has been mixed.

*Other signals*:

Activation

This feature would definitely benefit from having polyfills, backed by any
of: cloud services, lazily-loaded on-device models using WebGPU, or the web
developer's own server. We anticipate seeing an ecosystem of such polyfills
grow as more developers experiment with this API.

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that
it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?

None

Debuggability

It is possible that giving DevTools more insight into the nondeterministic
states of the model, e.g. random seeds, could help with debugging. See
related discussion at
https://github.com/explainers-by-googlers/prompt-api/issues/9.

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?No

We hope to work on web platform tests for this feature, but how much we can
guarantee as testable beyond the surface API is unclear, given the
nondeterministic nature of the output.

DevTrial instructions
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wIoSQx29-WBlEDO297iF9a43DXUcbjxJqctdGxcXY6I/edit?usp=sharing

Flag name on chrome://flagsrewriter-api-for-gemini-nano

Finch feature nameEnableAIRewriterAPI

Requires code in //chrome?True

Tracking bughttps://issues.chromium.org/issues/358214322

Estimated milestones
DevTrial on desktop 129

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5112320150470656?gate=5156545160282112

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
<https://chromestatus.com/>.