I would argue that the pronunciation of symbols should most certainly be handled by the synthesizer rather than any intermediate layer. Letting the intermediate layers handle symbol pronunciation will only cause lots of problems similar to the "tiflda" problem we have in Speakup to this day. Most synthesizers have no trouble pronouncing the ~ (tilde) character, but they all get it horribly wrong using Speakup, because the pronunciation is hard coded in Speakup itself, and is quite wrong for most speech synthesizers.
~Kyle