Ok, I know that there is a kind of cable that works with those digital cartridges.  I guess that the drives just have a regular file system on them.  The NLS digital book player is linux based and there should be no reason for the file system to be different.

The files on there are .3gp files so you would have to have a program that could play them.  Just download a book from bard and look at the kinds of files in that zip archive.  If you want to test it, just unpack the book in a dedicated folder on your machine and try to see if anything other than protected.mp3 will play.

I have heard that there is some kind of encryption on these files but I am not sure how simple it would be to crack if, indeed, it is there.  You can download the zip archive of the latest firmware from the bard website and see if you can get it running on your computer.  If so, problem solved.

In the case of those cassettes, there is no way that I am familiar with to get them on digital without using the full runtime of the source.  This is a bummer and a time consumer, but I have done some of them for my parents and for my girlfriend, and I just recorded them with something like sox or ecasound and let it go at that.

Hope this helps.

Doug Smith