On 21 May, 2011, at 5:27 pm, Dave Taht wrote:

> Experience the pain of the Internet on another continent! (note that the gw
> is up on ipv6 as well)

Well, it's not very fast in terms of throughput, but the latency seems to be
about as good as I get normally.  But perhaps that's because I'm starting from
Northern Europe and so I'm already used to intercontinental traffic due to the
prevalence of US-based servers.

I do see occasional brief stalls during the download, but these are
substantially less intrusive than what I get on my 3G modem.  They suggest that
packets are being dropped at reasonably regular intervals, but the TCP is
recovering quickly.  I can't tell whether RED is triggering (without ECN) or
whether these are tail-drops on a fairly short queue.

Incidentally my download is coming across IPv6, so it may be triggering the
related Linux bug.  This shouldn't totally disable the negotiation though, so
more likely there's a broken router in the way.

 - Jonathan