Well, if the link isn't congested, why do you need to do anything to the traffic other than forward it? You have no way of knowing what paths the traffic is going to follow once it hits the next router, so you don't know which streams are independent of each other.

Now, if you are saying that fq_codel can be enhanced to gather stats even when there is no congestion so that it has a better idea of what to do once congestion starts, then you may have a point.

but fq_codel is very happy to run and do basically nothing if there is no congestion. It doesn't delay things to create a buffer.

David Lang