On 06/24/2014 12:45 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
In an age where you have, say, gbit fiber to your business, it makes quite
a lot of sense from a security and maintenence perspective
to be hosting your own data and servers on your own darn premise, not
elsewhere.

Perhaps, but where does having gigabit fibre to a business imply the business has the space, power, and cooling to host all the servers it might need/wish to have?

I am glad gfiber exists to put a scare into certain monopolists, but
even then I'd be tons happier if municipalities treated basic wired
connectivity as we do roads. One of the great "Secrets" of silicon
valley is it got wired for fiber early, through the vision and
foresight of people like Brian Reid and everybody got easy access.

That must be a really well-kept secret as I am aware of no fibre running to my house in Sunnyvale :)

rick jones
speaking for myself alone