Hi Mikael,

On Feb 26, 2015, at 11:39 , Mikael Abrahamsson <swm...@swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, MUSCARIELLO Luca IMT/OLN wrote:
>
>> I wonder when we'll have software routers in residential networks to
>> innovate a little faster than what happens today just like how already
>> happens in some data centers.
>
> Well, it would help if operators tried to buy CPEs taht were not only
> bare-minimum for what they need today.

        What is quite ironic is that many operators now switched to charge
rental fees for their under-powered, and not timely upgraded devices, rent that
could easily be used to purchase far more capable devices (that would actually
justify the rental fee).

> Right now I hear more about "virtualised CPE" to save cost (ie move part of
> the CPE implementation to the data center) than to spend more money on
> features in the CPE.

        Well, the ingress traffic shaping definitely should be virtualized
upstream of the actual CPE!

> My hope is still on the mobile phone SoCs trickling down to the home gateway
> space so we get more CPU power there at decent price point.

        But do we know whether mobile phone SOCs actually make good routers?

Best Regards
        Sebastian