> On 21. mar. 2015, at 00.47, David P. Reed <dpr...@reed.com> wrote:
>
> I think this is because there are a lot of packets in flight from end to end
> meaning that the window is wide open and has way overshot the mark. This can
> happen if the receiving end keeps opening it's window and has not encountered
> a lost frame.  That is: the dropped or marked packets are not happening early
> eniugh.

... or they're so early that there are not enough RTT samples for a meaningful
RTT measure.

> Evaluating an RTO measure from an out of whack system that is  not sending
> congestion signals is not a good source of data, unless you show the internal
> state of the endpoints that was going on at the same time.
>
> Do the control theory.

Well - the RTO calculation can easily go out of whack when there is some
variation, due to the + 4*RTTVAR bit. I don't need control theory to show that,
a simple Excel sheet with a few realistic example numbers is enough. There's
not much deep logic behind the 4*RTTVAR AFAIK - probably 4 worked ok in tests
that Van did back then. Okay though, as fine tuning would mean making more
assumptions about the path which is unknown in TCP - its just a conservative
calculation, and the RTO being way too large often just doesn't matter much
(thanks to DupACKs). Anyway, sometimes it can - and then a dropped packet can
be pretty bad.

Cheers
Michael