> On 28. jul. 2015, at 18.22, Sebastian Moeller <moell...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> On Jul 28, 2015, at 16:31 , Simon Barber <si...@superduper.net> wrote:
>
>> The issue is that Codel tries to keep the delay low, and will start dropping
>> when sojourn time grows above 5ms for 100ms. For longer RTT links more delay
>> is necessary to avoid underutilizing the link. This is due to the
>> multiplicative decrease - it's worst with Reno, where the halving of cWind
>> means that you need to have a full BDP of data in the buffer to avoid the
>> link going idle when cWind is halved. With longer RTTs this means more delay
>> than Codel allows is required to avoid a throughput hit. The worst case
>> happens when a single flow is controlled, but that can be a common
>> situation. My proposal is to sense and have the target value in Codel
>> automatically adjust when this worst case scenario happens - which would
>> mitigate most of the downside.
>
>       According to theory you should adapt interval if at all and the set
> target between 5-10% of that interval. See
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-codel/?include_text=1
> sections 4.3 and 4.4. Now that could all be off.The upshot is increasing
> target as a response for long RTTs will sacrifice latency again for
> bandwidth, pretty much that the avoidance of is codel’s claim to fame ;)

The only way to fix this trade-off is to change TCP, to back off less *only
when the queue was small*. We tried what we think is the simplest possible way
to do this: only a sender-side change, using ECN as an indication that there is
an AQM mechanism on the path, not a long queue (and hence backing off by less
is ok). It works pretty well. See:
http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/150710A/CAIA-TR-150710A.pdf
(a few of the graphs are simulations, but many were from real-life tests -
appendix B says which).

...and the draft, which was presented to TCPM at the Prague IETF last week:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-khademi-alternativebackoff-ecn

Cheers,
Michael