I’ll try to tackle what I can for now below inline.

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 6:30 AM, moeller0 <moell...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Brandon,
>

>> On Jan 20, 2016, at 00:33 , Brandon Applegate <bran...@burn.net> wrote:
>>
>> Disclaimer: if this is the wrong list for such a question - let me know.
>> This is specifically about the sqm-scripts package...
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’ve been reading all I can on the bufferbloat website and also trying to
>> understand the evolution of the various scripts (debloat, sqm, etc).
>>
>> I managed to get sqm-scripts on my firewall (Ubuntu linux on a PC - no *wrt
>> etc).  Got it built with the ‘linux’ platform.  Since this is Ubuntu 12.04 -
>> I had to cheat a bit and pull down the iproute2 source from 14.04.  I’ve
>> tweaked the main sqm script to reflect this for the tc bindary - this is
>> working.  I also updated my kernel to a later version that supports fq_codel.
>
>       Great, could I convince you to post a quick description of the required
> steps somewhere linkeable on the net (in case we actually get it to work
> correctly first ;) )
>

>> My topology is ‘on a stick’.  I have one gig interface to a managed switch,
>> on which are eth0.666 (outside/wan) and eth0.10 (inside).
>
>       Okay, that is a configuration that has not received much testing in the
> past…
>

>> I have 30/5 cable service, and have tried both those values as well as 90%
>> in my /etc/sqm/*conf file.
>>
>> I’ve tried both eth0 (raw/parent interface) as well as eth0.666.
>
>       Eth0 is not going to work in that situation as you will send and
> receive both incoming and outgoing traffic on that interface, so we really
> need to configure it correctly on the VLAN interfaces. I would like to
> propose to start with egress/uplink first and handle ingress afterwards. If
> you select eth0.666 (the superstitious among us would probably try a
> different VLAN number ;) ) and only configure the upload bandwidth but set
> download to 0, effectively sqm will only try to shape the egress traffic. I
> would propose to try this first, if that works let’s tackle download/ingress
> okay

I set DOWNLINK to 0 and here are the results (again - using
speedtest.dslreports.com)

Download: 36 mbit (bufferbloat through the roof)
Upload: Slowly climbed to ~ 4.5mbit (bufferbloat good/very low)

>> No matter what I do - my bandwidth is 10% of what it should be.
>
>       Here a comprehensive list what you actually did might help to form
> educated hypothesis what is going on...
>
>> I get approx. 3/4mbit down + 2/3mbit up on dslreports speedtest.
>> Bufferbloat looks great though - A+.
>
>       Mmmh, while I would love to declare success (bufferbloat quashed, let’s
> move on) I have a hunch you are not too impressed with that solution ;)
>

>> Is there something inherent I’m doing wrong ?
>
>       No, by all means you are doing the right thing, namely helping us
> making sqm robust under more different conditions, thanks.
>

>> Something to do with my ‘on a stick’ topology biting me ?
>
>       Could be, but nobody knows.
>
>> Kernel version (Ubuntu’s 3.13.0-74-generic btw).
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help or info (or pointer to a more appropriate
>> list).
>
>       We recently taught sqm a whole new level of verbosity, please have a
> look at Readme.md on https://github.com/tohojo/sqm-scripts , I believe under
> non openwrt systems you might need to set:
> [ -z "$SQM_VERBOSITY" ] && SQM_VERBOSITY=$VERBOSITY_DEBUG
> instead of the default:
> [ -z "$SQM_VERBOSITY" ] && SQM_VERBOSITY=$VERBOSITY_INFO
> and then issue:
> /usr/bin/sqm/sqm-bin stop
> /usr/bin/sqm/sqm-bin start
> manually to get more verbose output, You could also try setting SQM_DEBUG
> unconditionally to 1 in defaults.sh (in addition to raising the default log
> level to SQM_DEBUG) to get debug logs under:
> /var/run/sqm/eth0.666.debug.log
> or similar. That ideally will contain all debug output as well as all calls
> to the tc and ip and iptables binaries and their output, which should be
> plenty information to figure out the root cause of your issues.

I can’t get it to log anything for the life of me.  I’ve tried:

SQM_DEBUG=1 SQM_VERBOSITY=8 /etc/init.d/sqm stop ; SQM_DEBUG=1 SQM_VERBOSITY=8
/etc/init.d/sqm start

As well as temporarily mucking around in the defaults.sh script.  It never
writes anything to the /var/run (but the state gets written, so I don’t think
it’s perms).