Last I looked at this you can attach a qdisc to a virtual interface, but there is no backpressure, since the interface is virtual and the real interface it feeds will never 'stop' accepting packets (since you are really feeding into another qdisc).

So you can do things like rate pacing, logging, etc.

Simon