From: Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 2:56 AM
Subject: Re: voting rights in general
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>
Cc: Stan Kalisch <s...@glyphein.mailforce.net>, IETF Discussion

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 3:43 PM Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26-Mar-19 10:13, Stan Kalisch wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, at 5:00 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
> >> Different people have different ideas about what "unpleasant" means.
> >
> > They do, but what is significant is the common, shared subset of those
> > ideas within a community.  That subset alone can significantly determine
> > who is part of a community, and who is not.
>
> That's true. And as we have seen more people from non-Anglo-Saxon and then
> non-European cultures participate, the meaning of "unpleasant" has continued
> to change, and probably to fragment. I had the good fortune to start my
> professional life in the particle physics community, where being brutally
> frank about a colleague's technical errors was normal, so the traditional
> IETF culture was no surprise to me. But I have often seen it (by body
> language) to be an unpleasant shock to new participants. Some people get used
> to it, but some don't. So while I've known Keith long enough to simply say
> "You're wrong, Keith" and be sure he wouldn't take it as an insult, I hope I
> would always be more careful with a new participant until I know them better.
> (For clarity, in this case, Keith's not wrong.)
>
> There's a reason the ITU and ISO tend to use very diplomatic language and
> very formal procedures. I'm not saying we should do that, but it isn't OK to
> just ignore the issue of different cultural expectations.

In my life, I have been very empowered by the idea of clear, and frank
discussions. The oft-brutal game of "Dealer",
at Xerox PARC, the only mandatory meeting, where the participants were
encouraged to go at each other with every form of technical criticism
- and then go have a beer - made for good code.

Also, I have found "kelly johnson's rules" to be very effective.
Notably, in ietf context:

"The designers of the airplane should be on the shop floor while the
first ones are built."

What george carlin damns as "soft language" in (NSFW)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o25I2fzFGoY
infests the ietf today.

In order to be successfully implemented, a specification MUST be
short, clear, and unambigious.

public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

--

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC

--