I suspect that my Xfinity Flex box has too small an internal buffer and is starving when fed by my cake-enabled OpenWrt router.

For the last few weeks, I've been streaming Amazon Prime Video shows and movies and the box tends to go to black screen after 5-10 minutes of viewing, followed by a jump to the Flex main menu (which selects which streaming service to view). I thought perhaps the box was overheating or that there was a bug in the Amazon app that caused it to crash to the home screen. This week the same thing happened when I watched a show on HBO Max.

On a hunch, I disabled SQM on the router and was able to watch an hour of TV with no interruption, using a different service on successive nights. My next test will be to re-enable SQM and try viewing to see if I get a black screen and crash to home screen again.

Sometimes instead of a black screen I get a "problem with connection" message. So my theory is that the Flex box has too little buffer to handle hiccups in the feed, and is depending on a deep buffer in the Xfinity modem. Except that I have the modem set to bridge mode so I can disable its DHCP server and let my LAN server handle DHCP and DNS and other services.

My SQM config follows:

config queue 'eth1'
       option itarget 'auto'
       option etarget 'auto'
       option linklayer 'none'
       option interface 'eth1.2'
       option debug_logging '0'
       option verbosity '5'
       option qdisc 'cake'
       option qdisc_advanced '1'
       option squash_dscp '1'
       option squash_ingress '1'
       option qdisc_really_really_advanced '1'
       option script 'layer_cake.qos'
       option iqdisc_opts 'docsis wash besteffort nat ingress'
       option eqdisc_opts 'docsis ack-filter nat'
       option ingress_ecn 'NOECN'
       option egress_ecn 'NOECN'
       option download '170000'
       option upload '9000'