> On 10 Oct, 2021, at 8:48 pm, Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This latest from Nick & co, was quite good:
>
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/2109.11693.pdf

Skip the false modesty - I think this is very important work, actually.  I
would expect it to get cited a heck of a lot in future work, both in academia
and in the IETF.

In terms of its content, it confirms, contextualises, and formalises various
things that I already understood at an intuitive level.  The mathematics
involved is simple and accessible (unlike some papers I've read recently), and
the practical explanations of the observed behaviours are clear and to the
point.  I particularly appreciate the way they were able to parameterise
certain characteristics on a continuum, rather than all-or-nothing, as that
captures the complex characteristics of real traffic much better.

The observations about synchronisation of congestion responses are also very
helpful.  When synchronised, the aggregate behaviour of many flows is similar
to that of a much smaller number, perhaps even a single flow.  When
desynchronised, the well-known statistical multiplexing effects apply.  They
also clearly explain why the "hard threshold" type of ECN marking is
undesirable - because it provokes synchronisation in a way that tail-drop does
not (and this is also firmly related to a point we discussed last week).

Notably, they started seeing the effects of burstiness, on a small and
theoretically "smooth" network, on timescales of approximately a seventh of a
millisecond (20 packets, 9000 byte MTU, 10Gbps).  They were unable to reduce
buffer sizes below that level without throughput dropping well below their
theoretical predictions, which had held true down to that point.  This has
implications for setting AQM targets and tolerances in even near-ideal network
environments.  But they did also note that BBR showed much less sensitivity to
this effect, as it uses pacing.  In any case, it confirms that the first role
of a buffer is to absorb bursts without excessive loss.

 - Jonathan Morton