What I am missing in this and similar papres are tests what happens if the
proposed scheme is actually used quantitatively over the internet...
The inherent idea seems to be if one would know the available capacity one
could 'jump' the cwnd immediately to that window... (ignoring the fact the rwnd
typically takes a while to increase accordingly*). My gut feeling tells me this
will make dynamics at bottleneck queues even more volatile, not sure whether
that will result in an overall better outcome.
te
Sidenote: this is again a packet pair method with a side helping of "delay"
increase measurements (inside the driver stack, so conceptually related to
BQL/AQL) so the challenges are all the same.

*) Finally, the rwnd selection module is used to determine whether the value of
receiver window (rwnd) embedded in the ACK packet should be ignored, according
to the judgement whether it reveals the exhaustion of the receiver’s buffer,
thus to remove the restriction of rwnd on slow start acceleration.
Erm, I think this paper should have been rejected on this argument alone...
this is exactly the mind set (I know better then my communication partner) that
results in a non- or sub-optimally working internet... I wish that those that
do not appreciate slow-start would leave their fingers off it.
Not saying that slow-start is perfect, but if you ignore the components that
make slow-start effective your replacement likely will not cut it. The fact
that slow-strat gradually ramps up the cwin (and pretty aggressively) is one of
its features and not a bug, as the alternative of jumping directly to the
appropriate capacity for each flow requires an oracle... so a "perfect"
solution is clearly out of reach and all we are talking about is different
shades of "good enough" (and to repeat myself, whether a solution is good
enough does not solely depend on whether the solution if implemented at a
single end-node delivers "better" numbers for that end-node but also on its
effect on the rest of the network).**

**) I occasionally wish for a tit-for-tat scheduler that is generous at first
but will "retaliate" if a flow abuses that generosity...

On 28 December 2023 04:50:59 CET, Dave Taht via Bloat