Thanks for the observations re: "zero configuration OpenWrt install"

> On Feb 26, 2024, at 4:47 AM, Sebastian Moeller <moell...@gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> How about "openwrt.local" to conform to mDNS (RFC 6762) and IANA's
>> [special-use domain names][1]?  Or perhaps "openwrt.internal" in the
>> future?
>
> Or perhaps openwrt.home.arpa...? I think openwrt.local shouldd not be used,
> because .local is reserved for mDNS, no?
>
> OpenWrt defaults to .lan, and .lan is one of the top ten 'leaking' TLDs
> already, we should simply< agree never to assign the 10 (or 15 or whatever)
> highest leaking fake TLD as true TLDs, and problem solved, without requiring
> any more bike shedding from IANA, ICAN, ARPA, ...
> I am sure that, as pragmatic as it might be, is not going to happen...
> Perhaps because someone intends to convert one/more of the leaking fake TLDs
> into real TLDs?

Sure. Any of these make sense - use the best practice. The important points of
the proposal (original link at
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/cerowrt-ii-would-anyone-care/110554/106
<https://forum.openwrt.org/t/cerowrt-ii-would-anyone-care/110554/106>) are:

- Avoid the WAN port's DHCP assigned subnet (what if the ISP uses
192.168.1.0/24?)
- Don't require ANY IP address for default configuration
- Instead, use a single well-known mDNS address for initial configuration by
newcomers

(Why do I care? I tried to write a one-page How to Install OpenWrt guide, and
wound spending an entire new page describing how to set the router's LAN
address so that it doesn't conflict with the ISP's assigned range... Sigh.)

Thanks.

Rich