> Avoid the WAN port's DHCP assigned subnet (what if the ISP uses
> 192.168.1.0/24?)

> Exactly! There are no rules about what subnet range an ISP's gear will assign
> to DHCP devices.

@Mark Andrews and @Kenneth Porter... I apologize for any confusion caused by my
slightly ambiguous language. In both cases, I was referring to the DHCP
address/subnet assigned to the OpenWrt router's WAN port, by the ISP's gear.
This will be an RFC1918 address by default.

But my point is that the OpenWrt router has no way to predict what
address/subnet will be assigned to its WAN port. Consequently, at boot-time,
OpenWrt should simply choose some different subnet for its LAN subnet(s), and
then advertise an mDNS name.

Does this make sense? Thanks.

Rich