Noel,

on the bright side:

Subject: [CHMINF-L] RSC Publishing launches Project Prospect
Date: Thursday 01 February 2007 15:13
From: Valerie Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Posted on behalf of Richard Kidd

February 1, 2007

Dear colleagues

RSC Publishing, the publishing arm of the Royal Society of Chemistry, is
pleased to announce a new initiative for its journals. From February
2007 electronic RSC journal papers will be enhanced so that their data
can be read, indexed and intelligently searched by machine, a first step
towards the "semantic web".

Readers will be able to click on named compounds and scientific concepts
in an electronic journal article to download structures, understand
topics, or link through to electronic databases; compounds and ontology
terms will be published as RSS feeds enabling automated discovery of
relevant research.

The initiative, coined 'Project Prospect', is the first of its scope
from a primary research publisher. Developed together with UK academics
based at the Unilever Centre of Molecular Informatics and the Computing
Laboratory at Cambridge University, the Project uses InChIs (IUPAC's
International Chemical Identifier for compounds); OBO ontology terms
(Open Biomedical Ontologies: a hierarchical classification of biomedical
terms) such as the Gene Ontology (GO) and the related Sequence Ontology
(SO); terms from the IUPAC Gold Book; and CML (Chemical Markup Language:
a means to describe molecular information in a structured form).

This is a completely free service for authors and readers of RSC
journals. The enhanced articles have an at a glance HTML view with
additional features accessed by a tool box. Downloadable compound
structures and printer friendly versions will be available via this new
service.

'Project Prospect demonstrates our commitment to invest in innovative
technologies to provide our authors and readers with the best publishing
service available', said the RSC's Acting Managing Director, Robert
Parker

Midori Harris, GO's editor from the European Bioinformatics Institute
(EBI) in Hinxton, UK, welcomes the developments: 'We're delighted by the
RSC's decision to use GO and SO terms to annotate scientific papers they
publish. It's an exciting application of ontologies that will help
researchers search the ever-growing body of scientific literature more
quickly and effectively. We hope to see more publishers following the
RSC's example in the future.'

The RSC intends to develop the Project over the coming months and years
to increase the amount of structured science in their research articles.

To find out more about the project please contact me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit the project website at
http://www.rsc.org/Publishing/Journals/ProjectProspect/index.asp

With best wishes,

Richard Kidd
Manager, Editorial Production Systems

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the
 addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright
 material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without
 the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us
 immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but
 is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be
 held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes
 no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss.
 The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for
 personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC
 does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely
 on your own screening.

CHMINF-L Archives (also to join or leave CHMINF-L, etc.)
http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/chminf-l.html
Search the CHMINF-L archives at:
https://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?S1=chminf-l
Sponsors of CHMINF-L: