Hi All,

Is anyone going to the ACS meeting and interested in having a BO dinner? I
am running a symposium Sunday morning on "Bringing Cheminformatics into the
Chemistry Classroom", and had an ACS IPG grant in the Spring to bring
students to San Diego where they presented their projects from the Fall
2015 Cheminformatics OLCC, and had $700 left over, which I was going to use
to support a student to the Fall meeting, but his father just had surgery,
and he can't go.  So I got permission to use it for a lunch or dinner.  So
if there is an interest, I can help out with the first $700.

We are also putting together a second offering of the course for the Spring
of 2017, and I think it is turning into a pretty interesting endeavor.  We
are just getting started, and here is the site where this is coming
together,
http://olcc.ccce.divched.org/content/2017-development-site

I should comment that this course is for undergraduate chemistry students,
not computer science students.  We just held a retreat to decide what to
focus on, and I think it is fair to say that our objective is to get
chemistry majors without any programming skills to be able to access public
compound data programmatically.

I am also not sure if you are aware, but the ChemWiki has morphed into
Libretexts, http://chem.libretexts.org/ and we moved the Fall 2015
Cheminformatics
OLCC material to the ChemWiki, and so now all this material is accessible
from organic, biochem and all the other core text of the LibreText
HyperLibrary.

Anyways, is anyone interested in a dinner? We are thinking of a place in
Chinatown, and it probably needs to be on Sunday.  If so, I can help out
with the first $700, and the whole idea of this class came out of a BO
dinner in Boston when Dave Wild and I sat together, and decided to go in on
an education grant.

Cheers,
Bob

--