> With regards to an "Open" CIP -- I strongly suggest not going there. If
> you are seriously interested in this, join/form an IUPAC project.

For me the main motivation is to not reinvent the wheel, or perhaps not
reinvent the wheel worse than it already was. The less people have to think
and worry about CIP the better.

Maybe an IUPAC project is the way to go there... but a stepping stone is to
have a 'standard/verified' implementation (i.e. Open CIP) first. You've
done well on your implementation and it may be one to recomend as a
'verified' version but if we do nothing in 2 years time someone else will
come along and waste more time with the same bugs/corner cases.

- You've still not done the iteration quite right, you only give 4 labels
for this one: [C@]3([C@]1([H])CC[C@@]([H])(C)CC1)([C@]2([H])CC[C@
@]([H])(C)CC2)CC[C@]([H])(C)CC3
- What CIP labels do you get for CHEBI:51439
<http://www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi/searchId.do?chebiId=CHEBI%3A51439>? I believe a
correct implementation should never finish... or at least run of memory
when building the digraph.