I think it's wonderful that we have an un-organization that is still
going strong. I highlight the great work done voluntarily by many people,
without central management, in tackling the log4j problem.

Some of my colleagues are interested in DAOs (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decentralized_autonomous_organization) . Does
this have any role for BO? Do we have algorithms for governance that make
sense for BO?

I am continuing to keep a hand in chemistry, particularly materials. I was
asked to speak at two meetings last year (OMDI2021) and am also invited to
a CECAM meeting next month MADICES2022. (I've also been changing to Python
as it has a better and more integrated set of libraries than Java - which
is increasingly enterprise).  We need new approaches and I'm trying to work
some of these out - particularly a mixture of un-natural language
processing with defined objects rooted in Wikidata. Wikidata is a
gamechanger and Egon is one of the leaders.

I'm also building software to extract data from diagrams. This includes
plots (such as electrochemistry) and biochemical reaction pathways. There
are much better general libraries for images and I think we can make good
progress. I'd be interested in anyone who wants to extract data from
spectra, reaction pathways, plots (scatter, bar, ...) I applaud Christoph
and his group for Decimer ML to identify chemical diagrams and would be
happy to explore. I am particularly keen on extracting knowledge from
preprints (and have been talking with bio/medrxiv people). Being able to
have an immediate preprint reader  - e.g. minutes after the   document was
loaded - would be independent of publishers. Also the PDFs are much more
tractable than the awful 2-column PDFs of the "version of record".

In short I think there are huge opportunities for modern tools to innovate
in chemistry again and take semantic control.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Founder ContentMine.org