On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 07:38:00 -0500, Gerald Waugh
<gwa...@frontstreetnetworks.com> wrote:
> On 10/22/2012 06:49 AM, Larry Smith wrote:
>> On Mon October 22 2012 05:56, Will Nordmeyer wrote:
>>> Thanks
>>> for the idea. I checked poprelayd (it is running) and it has no data
>>> when I do a poprelayd -p. I'll contact her to shift to port 587... I
>>> still wish I could figure out why this suddenly started. And why it is
>>> only really affecting one or two users.
>> Hmmm, if poprelayd -p has no data, then it may be running but does
>> not appear to be parsing the maillog correctly.  If running you should
>> be able to see a person check mail (in the maillog) then within seconds
>> see that IP (the IP they checked mail from) show up in the poprelayd -p
>> output.
>>
>> As for why only affecting a few, try doing an RBL check against their
>> IP addresses, it may be those are listed somewhere and causing sendmail
>> to block the send.
>>
> Also some ISPs including comcast do block port 25, so use 587
> I believe someone suggested the same. so I second that.

OK...  had the user change to port 587.  The problem still occurs.
What is particularly confusing is that it is **ONLY** one or two users
of several hundred on my server.

In this particular case, I have 2 users on the same domain (husband &
wife), traveling, using a Verizon mifi.  SHE is getting these errors...
HE is not.  She is using either an iphone or her laptop with Outlook
2010.  He is using his netbook with (as I recall) Outlook 2003.  (or
Outlook Express).

I had her change her SMTP port to 587 and also turn on "my server
requires authentication."  But it still happens from her outlook
account.