Hi David,
On 07/01/2011 18:12, David Nelson wrote:
Hi guys, :-)
this is the girl of the story ;)
I would like to make a proposal. I consider that the libreoffice.org
website is a resource that can be of strategic importance to TDF and
the community. I have a bunch of ideas for further developing it and
using it to further the project's aims and interests.
Yes, you're right and it's great to see you enthusiasm !
To do that job, I would ask - for a period of 4 months, subsequently
renewable on condition of the SC's approval - for complete authority
and final veto on all content on the libreoffice.org website. I want
to be considered *the boss* of the libreoffice.org website, and my
decisions would only be overridden by a majority vote of SC members.
Anything short of that, my decision wins.
Like the others, I don't like the idea of 'complete authority and final veto on all content'. No problem for me to consider you like *the boss* if you prefer to have a title, but we are an open source project and decision process is not working this way. I absolutely do not feel comfortable with the SC members voting on each decision, I mean the website team should be able to work and reach a consensus by its own on what should be on line.

There has been a failure at filling the website content at the beginning. From my side I thought that in front of the emergency, an English native language speaker will wake up and fill it. Ok, that has not work this way this time, but I won't draw a picture with only a piece of it. The website team has to think about it and change his way to work or appeal for collaboration. Like in *any* other part of the project, the collaboration mode is how we work and how we are willing to work. Even if one take the final decision (the one you would call the lead), it's because others have reach an agreement on this final decision. And sometime it takes time (even years), but no matter, we do not have commercial pressure or something like that, we have a community that we want to be happy and for a long time.

This would give me the necessary authority to try some imaginative and
ambitious plans that I will put to Marketing.
Like Italo said, there is a marketing project and tasks should be coordinated with it. Also, the website is not only for marketing, it's also for contributors and so it engages much more than marketing. Last, I don't see why you need an authority to put your imaginative and ambitious plans on a staging site where it can be reviewed and discussed before being implemented. And I'm really curious to see it soon :-)
I would ask for the title of "Executive editor of the libreoffice.org
website". The only reason I have for asking for this title is that it
gives me a handle to use in relations with outside parties, such as
the press.
Also Italo expertise, here. Currently not every body can speak publicly in the name of TDF (even not me :-), and I think it's good.
If you feel able to grant me this trust, you can be sure that I will
act responsibly and wisely, and that my sole aim will be to advance
and protect the interests of the LibreOffice project and community.
I won't trust you less if you're not the big boss. You've work on several parts of the project, the work you've done is good and important for our project and you've done it with respect of the community values. This is why I trust you. You have already act responsibly and wisely without having the complete authority and final veto.
I believe in teamwork and community-building. I would be keen to
listen to and to learn from others, and to take the smartest decisions
possible. I would seek to leave behind a positive contribution.
I believe in your work and what you've done on the website content, also on the documentation project. You have found your place in our project, you are organizing the documentation project and the tool it will use for its workflow, you've work on the website content and want to go on. I'm really happy to have you near me :-) I'll be also really happy to help you work with the others among the design team, the marketing team, the l10n team, etc.
Your decision would be sealed by an official vote at the next SC meeting.
My vote will be -1 because of the reasons above and I join also Christian conclusion.

But I really don't want you to resign. I would like to offer my help and any time you need to discuss further how we work. Most of us are in open source projects for quite a long time, we have had to learn also, if I can help you, it sincerely will be my pleasure :)

Kind regards
Sophie