Hi :)
It is a complex area of Law in most countries.  It might be even more than 1
area since we might be dealing with  intellectual property rights, other
copyright issues, patents & contracts.

We can easily avoid the whole legal mess by avoiding Windows and Apple
screen-shots.  We can just use screen-shots from gnu&linux distros as the
documentation team was happily doing up until Jean popped off on holiday.
There
are sometimes slight differences but the documentation team has been able to
work-around these either through text or by editing the screen-shots a bit.

Most companies that have to worry about this sort of thing employ a legal
department.  I don't think TDF can afford to do that.  I also don't think we
can
afford to take the word of any individuals about how seriously we need to take
this sort of issue.

So, i would personally recommend that we do as the documentation team agreed to
do ages ago and just avoid the potential danger area completely by using
screen-shots from organisations that honour copyleft agreements.

However, i agree with Alex that we need some sort of statement from the SC to
settle the issue at least until the BoD can make a 'permanent' ruling.

Apols and regards from
Tom :)