On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 12:04:41PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On 10/07/2020 02:40, Lionel Élie Mamane wrote:

>> Redhat will sell you a yearly subscription for a single workstation,
>> as low as 180 USD. So will SuSE for 32 GBP. Will any ecosystem company
>> scale down?

>       Right - and such infrastructure requires significant
> investment to setup; absent any need for that - no-one will do make
> that investment I guess (outside of app-stores). Currently interest
> is negligible, so that investment looks premature.

>       (...) if there is an explosion of interest that proves demand
> (this would be a good problem to have) - I'm confident that the
> ecosystem can respond in a matter of days to weeks to plug that gap
> =)

What this whole "marketing plan" is trying to do is to create the
demand, so that businesses inject money into the ecosystem, and send
the message businesses need to contribute. It is entirely fair for the
ecosystem companies to not believe the "small business" demand will
successfully be created, and thus not invest in that infrastructure
for that, but then:

>> (...) the whole presentation needs to be refocused so that it is
>> clear that only "enterprise" deployments of "many" (for some value
>> of "many") users are invited/encouraged/under moral obligation to
>> pay.

>       Which is a completely fair comment too. It's unclear of course
> if eg. a Community Edition will yield any significant traction, and
> certainly encouraging enterprises of a certain size to contribute
> (because others might swamp the ecosystem with transaction & setup
> costs) is hard to do in a single word =)

Depending on where you want to put the threshold:

LibreOffice Personal & Home Office
LibreOffice Personal & Small Business
LibreOffice Personal & SME

Maybe even better:

LibreOffice Personal & Small Teams

Or replace "Personal" by "Family" or "Home" or "Private" in any of the
above.

I like the "& Small Teams" version. It refers to a group of students
collaborating on homework, to a small non-profit, to a small business,
etc.

All these are Not a single word, but roughly within the size other
Office suites are called, and makes your point.

My point is: do not send a message that people should pay (try to
create the demand), if the offer is not there.

--
Lionel