Hi all,

many of you voted for me as you wanted me to promote and achieve the goals set in my candidacy statement:

https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/2021/msg00279.html

Point 1 is what leads me once again to share with the community my intention to push forward point 3 and 4 so that you can all provide your objective contributions to help me and the rest of the board in doing the right things for TDF and our community.

The following is a summary of the points that support the need and the feasibility of the proposal:

Enable TDF to contribute more code to LibreOffice with in-house developers to address our donors specific needs

 * As shown by Italo's slides at FOSDEM again and by others, TDF is not
   contributing as much as it could
 * Up to now no strategic decisions have been taken to make TDF a more
   regular and active code contributor
 * Members of the ecosystem and others also suggested that we should
   spend more money in development
 * Bugs, a11y issues and features can be harder to taken care of by
   volunteers and are not always addressed by the ecosystem
 * We need to build up internal skills and development capabilities to
   speed up innovation
 * Lack of suppliers diversification, mostly 2 at present, is a
   suboptimal situation for TDF, LibreOffice and its community
 * Internal developers can grow to cover areas like mentoring and QA
   while also helping with new contributors support
 * TDF needs to expand its internal capacity to deal with publishing in
   app stores directly and manage variable levels of complexity due to
   ever changing rules
 * Some proposed projects could be developed internally instead of
   outsourcing them, which helps to grow in-house skills and capacity
   to address our donors needs
 * Potential App Stores revenues may allow for more developers and to
   invest in developing other projects
 * Our development mentor together with the team should propose to the
   BoD projects for internal development
 * While internal projects may cover different areas tenders and ESC
   proposals will be also evaluated to avoid effort duplication
 * This is not "just" a new project, it's an essential and strategical
   move for TDF to grow further in its second decade which widens the
   horizon for new visions and opportunities to do more and even better
   things for LibreOffice and our community
 * Funds are available for at least 2 developers allowing us to start
   employing them straight away
 * Next steps: create and publish the job offers for developers and
   on-board them ASAP

The proposal will be publicly discussed this Friday 11 of February so I'm looking forward to your constructive feedback to make it a better proposal for all.

In the meantime I hope you appreciated my efforts in relation to point 6:

https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2022/01/27/bug-bounties-finding-and-fixing-security-holes-with-european-commission-funds/

Ciao

Paolo

--
Paolo Vecchi - Deputy Member of the Board of Directors
Legal details:https://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint