Update on this: As it appears, the user's network card causes the problem.
He's using an Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T
Controller, which will drop the connection whenever BOINC is set to
Always connect to the network.

According to this thread at Microsoft Answers
(http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/connection-lost-of-atheros-l1-gigabit-ethernet/c1b11358-7ba0-44d1-9918-b6bb7f52a147)
it's really a problem with the last known driver for this NIC. Problem
here is that that driver is also the official one in Windows 7. The
thread does show some options that users can set in the advanced
settings of the NIC, to stop the problem from occurring.

-- Jord van der Elst.