Yes, good question. 'Both' isn't the correct answer here, is it? ;-)
But then again, perhaps it is possible. While navigating on my phone I
noticed it would at the time show the hamburger (the three horizontal
lines) instead of the full navbar. Isn't it an option to show the hamburger
always on any browser/platform, and when that's clicked on the navbar
shows?

Now the hamburger scrolls up as well.
And with no immediate quick way back to the top of the page, long threads
with many posts mean lots of scrolling.

So:
- show the hamburger always, clicking it opens the navbar?
- give an option to jump back to the top of the page, perhaps by adding
[back to top] in the right corner of every post?

-- Jord van der Elst.