Now for Ronaldo! Real Madrid turn attention to Manchester United star after
clinching Kaka
By
Ashley Gray
Real Madrid will turn their attention to landing Cristiano Ronaldo once they
have completed the signing of Kaka from AC Milan.The new Bernabeu president
Florentino Perez has gone public on his pursuit of the Manchester United star,
setting out a clear statement of intent that he intends the usher in a new era
of the 'galacticos'.Behind
the scenes, Madrid's new board of directors - only sworn in on Monday -
are looking into the extent of long-standing negotiations to sign the
24-year-old and the existence of a pre-contract agreement.
'What I want is for many of the best players in the world to play with
us,' said Perez. 'Cristiano would be one of them. I'm going to work so
that Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo can be with Real Madrid.'
Former president Ramon Calderon has hinted several times since
leaving office that he had already tied up the transfer, though both
Madrid and Manchester United have denied this.Sources say the pre-agreed fee is
about £75million, though taxes and commissions could take Madrid's outlay close
to £90m.
t is a fee Perez is said to be concerned about, but it has been
claimed Madrid are preparing to go through with it any way amid
astonishing claims in more than one Spanish newspaper that they would
have to pay £26m if they break the deal.When asked about the
supposedly secret agreement, Perez said: 'I've been here for two days
and neither (previous president Vicente) Boluda or anyone else told me
anything about this.'However, it is claimed Madrid's legal team
are looking into the agreement and trying to establish whether it can
be considered as just between Calderon and Ronaldo, rather than Madrid.
Such a scenario would appear unlikely, but Perez would still
try to re-negotiate a deal with United, particularly to at least spread
payments over five years.
The deal has been described as a poisonous legacy of the Calderon
era, but while Perez appears to be putting a brave face on a reluctant
deal for Ronaldo, he is delighted to be landing Kaka.
Chelsea have denied making a £73.5m bid for the Brazilian, who has already told
friends he will be playing for Madrid next season.
Perez said: 'If Chelsea are not bidding (for Kaka), it is good news
for us. We have very good relations with Milan, which would facilitate
any deal.'On top of that, the player has expressed his
willingness to come. So I ask our fans to be patient because we are
working under a lot of pressure, but I know what they want: for us to
make a spectacular team.'
But Madrid's respect for Milan means there will be no official
unveiling until next week. The Italian club's owner Silvio Berlusconi -
also the country's prime minister - fears Kaka's exit could harm his
People of Freedom party's chances in the European elections, so he has
put off an announcement until Monday, while hinting at the inevitable.
The £56m Kaka deal is virtually done
and he looked visibly more relaxed in training with the Brazil national
team yesterday in Teresopolis, near Rio de Janeiro.
Berlusconi said: 'I will meet Kaka on Monday and then I'll tell you.
It is always the players who decide on their future, who have to decide
how to pursue his career.'I did all I could but in the end he took his
decision.'
And
Milan general manager Adriano Galliani confirmed the sale of Kaka was
purely for financial reasons, though the deal will be completed for
less than the £100m offered by Manchester City in January.
'Milan
can not go on losing 70m euros £61m) a year,' said Galliani. 'The motivation
behind Kaka's
sale would be economic.
'Ricky (Kaka) didn't want to go to Manchester City but he would go to Real
Madrid. 'An
agreement with Chelsea could not exist. Kaka goes to Real or he remains
at Milan. That is his choice and we are doing everything in complete
agreement.'Negotiations (with Real) do exist, but an agreement is not done.'
Madrid maintain an interest in Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery and Perez has
also publicly praised Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso, which is understood to
have been followed up privately by a bid of more than £20m.
However,
the Rafa Benitez is keener than ever to hold on to the unsettled
midfielder after missing out on Gareth Barry, who left Aston Villa for
Manchester City earlier this week.Reports in Spain today say
Benitez will test Madrid's resolve by demanding £35m for Alonso and
will also insist that the 27-year-old makes his intention clear.Madrid's budget
for their summer spending could be as high as £260m.
,,(o_o),,
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]