On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Takizawa <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Dan. Sorry for the confusion. I actually decided to take
> Boltwire offline and play with it locally before I attempt a
> reinstall, perhaps this weekend.
Did you install the skin you are wanting to use? Which skin? Where did
you put it? It should be in
boltwire
farm
skins
skinname1
... all the files inside that.
skinname2
... all the files inside that.
BoltWire does not have any skins in the default installation. Just the
directory structure so you know where to put things
> To answer your question, I was using version 2.37. My directory was
> fairly straight forward... I downloaded the Boltwire unzipped files
> directly to my Public folder. Good to know about clean URLs.. I will
> check that out. I also might install the previous version first just
> to rule out any chance of caching issues. The great thing is that the
> Boltwire package is small enough that I have flexibility for
> expirimentation.
I really don't think it's the caching... Very curious. Are you using
Linux? Permissions set properly... Possibly BoltWire is not reading
the directory.... Safe mode? Is there a .htaccess file in your skin
folder? Are you able to create member accounts?
> In any case, I am excited to learn about Boltwire and hope to grow
> with the community.
You are coming in at a good time. Development has slowed a lot the
last two months, and BoltWire has become pretty robust and stable.
We're mostly just polishing up the docs and still tweaking bugs. We
will probably go 3.xx any day. Just trying to think of what last
changes I might make before we do.
> Oh yeah, I have one more question. Outside of huge sites, is there a
> large speed difference between a PHP based Wiki and one that runs
> through MySql as well?
You mean a site that runs off flat files vs a database? I understand
the database is faster, slightly. But I'm not fully convinced because
of the approach BoltWire uses. Very simple flat files--almost no
serializing to worry about. But I'm exploring the idea of setting up
an optional database backend. Or a plugin or something if that's an
interest for you. I really DON'T like databases because of the
difficulties of upgrading your tables. You'll love flat files after
you've worked with them awhile.
And as for speed, with the recent caching mechanisms, I'm getting page
build speeds up to 600x as fast. In other words, caching/noncaching is
really a much bigger factor than database/flat files, for speed. Hope
you become a regular. We'll work with you to get things up and
running.
Cheers,
Dan
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"BoltWire" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/boltwire?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---