I have looked at the code and did more testing and you are right. BoltWire
uses a simpler and faster algorithm than the search function and does not
recognize the "." in c. Only whole page parst and the "*" symbol.

Given what you are trying to do, one approach might be to create an action
like action.docs.edit which will override the default edit action on any
docs page. To create it, just copy over the action.edit page and add a line
like [if ! more {p0} 2 && ! admin]<(forward main.error)>[if]. You could
also add another line like this: [if more {p0} 2 && ! inlist
{some_auth_list} {id} && ! admin]<(forward main.error)>[if]

I don't think I want to tinker with the authorization function for various
reasons, but could consider it if the above suggestion doesn't work.

Cheers,
Dan